Working Hard at Music Making

I have a time-directed deadline coming up. It is one I imposed upon myself, but it is coming, nevertheless. For this deadline, I am writing a bunch of original songs based on a winter (not holiday) theme.

For me, the writing of music comes easily, but the transcription takes significantly more time. I have a rhythm notation problem that is greatly assisted by notation software. I can hear when a rhythm isn't exactly right, but I can't really see it. So, my lifesaver over the years has been a program called Cakewalk.

Cakewalk Home Studio (2002! Can you believe it? 2002!!) has always been my go-to program. I've never tried the others that people have used and continue to use. I got the Cakewalk program and have been able to use it ever since. It is familiar to me, so I am able to do every and anything that I need to do...except guitar tabulature...I had another program that did that, but it stopped working three computers ago.

Anyway, it is time to sit down and knock out some songs for some new therapeutic music experiences. My plan is to write for 30 minutes and then clean for 30 minutes. In between all of the writing and cleaning, I'm going to run the laundry and watch lots of television on Amazon Prime and Netflix. Today is a good day to do this since my area is kind of under a freezing rain advisory, and I don't want to go out shopping on this Black Friday anyway. So, I am going to take advantage of being under an ice warning and plan on staying close to home.

I have composed several of the songs already. I have also written them down, but it is time to fix them in a regularly accessed method. Most folks wouldn't be able to decipher my scratches and notation style in its rough form (believe me, 23 interns have had some challenges with my style), so I need to put it into a more conventional notation style. I also have several visual aids to put together.

This type of creativity spurs my interest and makes me happy. I love to put together theme packets and therapeutic music experiences based on hypothetical clients. There is something quite fulfilling about making something that has never been made before and then sending it out into the universe. I am excited about having a day devoted to creative endeavors. (I am also hoping that this next month will be a time for creativity as well.) It is time to start the first half hour of cleaning (since I have been spending some time on a creative expression already), and then it's time to set I am a Snowflake into the computer and into a fixed manner for publication.

Happy Friday! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA