Progress - One Step Forward

I broke my Anterior Cruciate Ligament six weeks ago. I was pushed, twisted, and my knee popped. I haven't been able to walk without my immobilizer since July 16th, and I am tired. As the claim is through Worker's Compensation, I don't have to pay for any of my treatment, but I do have to wait for them to coordinate treatment, authorize treatment, and tell me when I can access treatment. It's a bit frustrating.

Last week, I got a call that the doctor would be able to see me on September 11th. I was happy to have an appointment, but I wasn't really thrilled about another 3 weeks in the immobilizer (AKA Arnold). On Monday, I called the doctor to see if I needed to assist in getting my medical records to them. They had the process well in hand. Later, they called me to ask if I could see the doctor on this Friday (yesterday!) instead of the 11th. I jumped (well, not literally) at the chance. I went to the doctor yesterday.

There were many people there. I waited almost an hour before being called into the room. I had new x-rays taken of my knees, received a copy of the MRI, talked to the Physician Assistant (PA), and heard about what will happen from here. The PA commented that it was amazing that I was still in the immobilizer and then she fiddled with my knee. She seemed to think that there was no stability in my knee and didn't comment on the immobilizer use anymore. The orthopedist came in for about two minutes, fiddled with my knee the way everyone else has, asked me if I had any questions, and then left. I was measured for a new brace - I'll have to name this one as well - and had some measurements done by one of the physical therapists (did a bit of music therapy advocacy with him, as well!). I left with the promise of a new brace - one that will support my unstable knee as well as allow me to bend that knee! Huzzah!!), and an appointment for outpatient surgery this fall.

When you have a situation that changes your life, it's amazing how much a little step forward can help with finding a positive attitude. The past 6 weeks have been full of frustration, wrenches in the knee, and constant phone calls to arrange for doctors that are close enough to access and still have good surgical outcomes. I feel that the discussions that I had yesterday are moving me forward towards a solution. I now know that I'll be having surgery to replace the ACL. I know that the surgery will be out of the hospital, in the surgical center of the doctor's office. I know that I will have two screws and a button holding my new ACL in place until it has a chance to fully incorporate into my leg (at least a year). I know that there will be follow-up visits with the doctor. I know that there will be at least 6 months of working with a physical therapist to get full functionality back into my knee. I should be released from treatment after a year of surgery, appointments, and therapy.

I certainly hope so.

It amazes me how much this injury has affected my ability to do music therapy. Now, I can still sing, facilitate treatment, and play instruments, but I cannot dance. I can't ensure that I can physically manage clients in significant distress and aggression, so I can't do any individual treatment. I am leading group sessions, but I miss the opportunity to interact with my clients outside of the group setting. I have lots of time on my hands when I'm at work, and I have difficulty filling the hours.

Knowing that I'm going to have many more hours to fill, I am trying to be creative in how I approach the next several months. I may need some help - any suggestions?

Comments

  1. You could read a virtual book Club book hosted by a certain blog. And then call me to discuss said book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like homework. I could do that. What virtual book would you like me to read?

      Delete
  2. http://topmusictherapist.com/virtual-book-club-part-iv-general-music-centered-theory/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA