For A Brief Moment...

...I forgot that I tore my ACL. I tried getting out of bed like I used to do, swing both legs over the side of the bed, and pop up out of bed (I know, I am one of those annoying morning people who love the morning and spring out of bed before the alarm goes off... don't hate me!). I was halfway through the swinging move when my lower leg fell, went into spasm, and wouldn't release. I couldn't unbend the leg. I couldn't sit up. I couldn't move. All I could do was cry.

Great way to start the day, right? I eventually got my knee straightened out and hobbled off into the shower. While I was trying to figure out how wash everything that needed it while babying my knee, I decided that it would probably be better to stay home today. I didn't think that using the knee to drive to and from work would be a good thing especially after grocery shopping yesterday (for the first time in 5 weeks). Now I can take a pain pill and watch for swelling without having to worry about driving under the influence. Ugh.

I left my clients with substitute plans. I always do. I always leave something out and accessible that folks can use without me. Right now, my clients have the choice between using the parachute, playing card games (musical and non-musical), and dancing with structured movement suggestions. These are all things that the paraeducators can do without me. I won't count today as music therapy services, but I do count it as music activities offered to the classrooms served.

I had to go to training last week, and one of the classroom staff members stepped up in a big way to "do music" with her students. She apologized to me for not getting the melodies of my songs right. I was thrilled that she even tried to things in the music therapy room! She led the group in an opening song (I'm told) and then led the group in a 25 minute parachute experience! I arrived at the closing song time. Clients left the area smiling and telling me about what she sang to them. I consider that a success! Most of my paraeducators don't put that much interest or enthusiasm into what I do during sessions.

I hope today's paraeducators, first of all, get the message that there are substitute plans waiting for them in the session (I suspect my entire messages don't get listened to in the mornings), and second, engage their students in something from the substitute plans. My clients will tell me tomorrow.

I won't worry about that right now, though. They have to muddle through without me today. I have to baby this knee and keep it attached to my body until my doctor's appointment on September 11th. It's time to take that pain pill and stay off this knee for a bit so I can go to work tomorrow.

Happy Monday, all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA