TME Tuesday - Idea Development - How do you do it?

Where do you get your ideas? How do you progress through a music therapy session? Are you a therapist who wants to script out everything, or are you someone who prefers to improvise the entire session? Are you a therapist who does both depending on the situation? How do you come up with ideas for your client treatment?

For me, I do a bit of everything, and I want to know if others do as well.

How do you come up with ideas? Are you a person who spends time reading books of other people? Are you someone who writes your own music and therapeutic music experiences (TMEs)? Are you a person who is comfortable with musical form and structure? Do you play around with music?

TELL ME! WHAT DO YOU DO???

Sorry for the yelling, but I am really wondering what other people do in their music therapy settings.

Have you ever really thought about what you do when you are planning sessions? 

I write down some ideas, but those ideas are extremely flexible once the clients walk into the music therapy room. I write TMEs before clients walk into the music therapy treatment session, but those TMEs do not become true TMEs until the client is involved in the process. I like to have an idea of what I can do with a specific piece of music, but I know that my ideas are nebulous until the client starts to engage. So, all of my sessions have some planning involved, but are not set in stone, EVER!!

What do you do?

Comments

  1. I post on Facebook to ask what song works best for treatment. Or maybe I do all of what you just said depending on the client and situation. Sometimes I plan with lots of structure because the client needs that. Sometimes I improvise the whole time. Sometimes I plan but then change it. I definitely read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA