The Great Debate

To go to work when feeling sick, or not to go to work when feeling sick, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to sit at home, nursing the germs or to go out into the world of clients and professionals to share those germs with others...

Forgive my paraphrasing, but this really is a dilemma for me. I spent yesterday at home due to mild fever, headache, and stomach stuff. Today, the mild fever continues, the headache comes and goes, and the stomach stuff seems to be better, but I am still debating about going to work.

It's no longer a debate. I need to go to work. There are things I have to do, including setting up my intern's schedule, completing her mid-term evaluation, leading the celebration for one of the clinicians that I don't know very well (but whose birthday is on Friday), and my regular clinical duties. I guess I'll take some medicine for the headache and the fever and just suck it up.

I wonder if this illness is something that others have, or if it's just something that I've got. I think others have had this at my facility. I know that my intern was ill last week with stomach problems, but I seem to be having more of the headache - fever stuff. I hope this is something going around and not just my body rebelling. If it is something going around, then going back to work makes sense. I won't be exposing people to new germs, just going back into the incubator.

So, how to plan for two music therapy sessions when the therapist isn't feeling the best?

Let's see. 

Maybe the parachute would be a good thing for today. Lots of movement, limited therapist input, and a novel thing for the session. I would need to go get the parachute from the other building before going over to the main building, but I could do that. I wonder what would happen. On the other hand, the group that I have this morning isn't really all that into large group activities. The parachute doesn't always work since they all want to be under it rather than help lift it up and down. Sigh.

I guess I'll go and make up the session as I go along - keeping in mind, of course, the goals and objectives of each client in every group. Maybe I'll try some of my lesser-known TMEs to see how they go. We shall see.

What are your "go-to" TMEs when you don't feel well? What do you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA