A Strange Day, To Say the Least

This is not one of my usual themes for writing. 
It has some spiritual and religious themes. 
You do not have to keep reading, if you want to.

Yesterday was a strange day. 

It started with, FINALLY, a decision. We'll see if the decision actually sticks, but it has been sent via email to all the parties involved, so I am progressing forward according to the plan. Then, another decision was made that doesn't make much sense to me, but this decision has not been made public, so I'm not really hopping to pack up my stuff and move yet again quite yet.

Then, the music therapy moments started.

Kids were absurd yesterday! The number of students who spent most of their music therapy sessions in outright belly laughs was enormous! They took therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) and adapted them on the spot to make them different and more original to them. Kids who hadn't shown any response except for tantrums to school work engaged in music therapy (much to the surprise of the paraeducator assigned to them). I got to smile and say, "I know. Music is a great way to engage kids." I admit I was a bit smug.

The day progressed and eventually ended. I took myself to my part-time job to get some work and organizing done. While I was upstairs in the church, I heard someone enter. I went downstairs to keep working and a person was sitting in the sanctuary. I continued on my job routine. I had started some music by a community in France called Taize. This musical tradition includes ostinati, repetitive prayer practices, and simple/complex musical arrangements. It is one of my best choices for personal relaxation and meditation. I had turned it on earlier in the evening and just kept it playing. The person stayed in prayer and silence for a time and then left abruptly. I changed the music to an anthem that I had to hear before choir practice. The person re-entered the session and asked me "what the opera music was." I told that person and the response was, "That was perfect for what I am feeling and going through right now." So, I changed the music back to Taize, and we spent some more time listening, engaging in prayer, and breathing. The person left before the church service started, but the experience stuck with me.

One of the stories that I read to the congregation (now, just to clarify, I am the music director at this church, not the pastor. The pastor is on a vacation/study leave break, so I am covering the Wednesday worship services until he comes back in two more Wednesdays) was about a mother who asks her children, "Where did you meet God today," every night before bed. I had chosen the story before the person entered, but found that the story resonated with me ever more strongly after my encounter.

What guided me towards playing that music? What guided that person to come to the sanctuary at that moment?

I know where I met God yesterday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA