5 More Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Music Therapy

One of the things I've noticed this week is a resurgence of views on one of my previous posts, 7 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Music Therapy. I think someone professorial has assigned a class to read the post this week because the views for this post had gone way down but are now increasing again.

Anyway, I have been a bit introspective about music therapy this week as I have moved from one storage location to another, changed my schedule, and have been a bit overwhelmed by having to get used to all the changes in my situation. I have had some time to think about the role of music therapy at my facility and my particular role in that facility - not just as music therapist, but also as human being and co-worker. This has led me to some more things.

What else do I wish someone had told me about music therapy when I was first starting out? Here are some more thoughts:
  1. There are times when I cannot shut off the music in my head - One of my Twitter followers asked if I had included the danger of earworms on my initial list. I did not, so here it is. I find that there are times when a song that a client (or many clients) respond to strongly is not one of my preferences, but the song stays in my brain all day and all night. I often wake up singing songs like "Let It Go" or "Cupid Shuffle." It is not something I strive for, but it happens for a long time. By the way, a history teacher I had in high school offered this solution to the earworm situation. "When a song gets stuck in your head, try singing the Star Spangled Banner. It is something that we use in a specific manner most of the time, so it can drive other songs out of your head." I've tried this many times over the years, and it does work for me. Bu-u-ut, I do have to sing the entire thing (including the cymbal crashes) in order to focus on that song rather than the earworm. And, so far, the Star Spangled Banner hasn't traded places (it's been 31 years since I got that advice, so I think that's a pretty good track record. My question here is whether that would work with the national anthems of other countries or not.)
  2. Musical Self-Care is crucial - another reader stated that she found that burnout was a danger for her until she started to play in an orchestra. She stated that musical self-care (related to the comment I made about changes in the relationship with music) was something she really needed. Her joy in being a musician was being changed because she was using music as a tool more than she was using music for herself. Once she found a musical outlet, she was able to find balance. I find the same thing for myself. I have a music-related job as a church choir director that allows me to make music in a different way. There is no therapeutic goal or objective, but there are therapeutic benefits to singing with a group of people. I love the job even though I could make lots more money someplace else.
  3. There are times when you need to remove the music - There are times when music is not the way to interact with the client, and that's okay. If you go into a session and the client is actively resisting music-making, maybe it's fine to dispense with the music and focus on the relationship. One of the most profound sessions I ever had with a client did not include music at all. I went where he needed to go, and his path did not include music.
  4. There is stuff that goes along with being a music therapist - My intern and I moved my equipment, materials, and instruments this week from one building to another this week. I also had to rearrange things in one closet with things in my current office space. I kept looking at all the stuff that I have in my office area and thought that there was even more stuff at home. Now, I am a packrat and a bit extreme when it comes to accumulating stuff, but even music therapists who can be minimalists tend to have lots of stuff. There are guitars, keyboards, drums, and other instruments. There are visual aids, songbooks, and devices that therapists need. I'm not even talking about journals, textbooks, and other music therapy things.
  5. It is a job that is easy to love but much of the love has to be self-generated - There are times when it will feel that you are viewed as entertainment or as a way for teachers to get their planning time. There are times when someone will remove a client because "all they are missing is music." It is in those moments that I have to find intrinsic motivation to do my job at the best of my ability. I am able to continue because I know that my clients find music therapy to be an important part of their lives. This is illustrated to me when I have to cancel a session, and clients stop me in the hallways to ask me why I cancelled or when they will "get" to go to music next. I know that they find music therapy to be important and much more than an opportunity for their teachers to get planning time. So, when I feel taken for granted by the professionals near me, I remember that the clients don't take me for granted at all. That keeps me going.
What are the things you wish someone had told you about being a music therapist? Let me know in the comments...  

Comments

  1. I really wish my professors had told me 40 years ago that this profession is far from understood and that I would spend my entire career justifying, explaining, clarifying and trying to keep from feeling irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. It has been a long rough road for me over the past 22 years. I think the job is starting to get a bit easier, and that is all because folks like you paved the way for the rest of us. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA