Daily Practice

www.musictherapyworks.com - music, therapy, and me blogI am getting ready for a performance on my cornet in about a month. Now, I haven't played my cornet on a regular basis for several years (let's try since college), but I do play every so often and my lip is in pretty good shape. This task is a labor of love for a family at the church where I work. There is a young man who plays the trumpet who is willing to do special music, and his mom asked if I would play with him. I agreed. So, now I need to get into the habit of daily practice.

When I was just learning how to play the cornet, I was required to practice every night after dinner. I looked on it as a chore some days, but others gave me pleasure. I learned to play in those after-dinner practice sessions. When I went to college, cornet-playing was frowned upon in the dorms, and I switched my musical focus to voice, so my nightly routine changed significantly.

I've found that everything that I love is the result of daily practice.

Writing? My challenge this month is to write in this blog every day. It is a challenge to come up with something that interests me, but the nice thing about a blog is that I get to write about anything and everything. I think I'm getting better at it. The more I try, the more experience I have.

Music therapy? Practice definitely makes being a music therapist easier. I think my interns realize that about three months into their internships. All of a sudden, the job becomes less of a chore and more of a therapeutic process. I can see it in their development and know that my own development mirrors theirs, even after 20+ years of being a therapist. Good music therapy has to be practiced. You cannot simply talk about being a music therapist and be a music therapist. You have to continuously practice to keep your skills up and going.

Creativity. You absolutely cannot turn on creativity like a spigot. It has to be practiced. Practicing creativity is easy if you can get over the first hurdle - that of just starting. When I feel creativity-starved, I try to make something - music, a crocheted basket, an instrument bag, a file folder activity, a Christmas present for a loved one, something. The most difficult part is just getting started.

I forgot to practice my cornet yesterday. I have placed the instrument on my bed so I won't make that mistake twice. I have to get into the habit of daily practice so I can play along with the 13 year old on August 17th. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA