You Know, That One Song, That We Heard On That Commercial...

Yesterday, my father asked me to find him a song.

He had heard it in the deli where he and my mother and my sister had lunch, and he knew that it was used in a commercial, but that was where we started. It was a ballad, a female sang it, my sister thought she had dark hair but wasn't Katy Perry, and that was all. All the information that he had about the song he wanted me to find for him.

I used my interview skills - honed after working with clients with developmental disabilities for 21 years - "What instruments did you hear?" "Do you remember any of the words that were used?" "Did the music change at all?"

Eventually I found out that the last words were, "I let him go."

Off to Google I went. [Can I just go on a social media tangent here? Life is so much easier now that you can type search criteria into the computer and have things sent back to you within nanoseconds! Before, I would have had to purchase lots of songs, listened to them all, compiled lists, and all that. (Old geezer moment now) You kids don't know how easy you have it these days!!]

I typed in "lyrics I let him go" and got several possibilities. I eliminated the men - Dad was sure that it was a female even though Air Supply was one of the suggestions - he said it was not those guys. I started to play songs from YouTube over the phone for his listening. We eventually found the song. It was by a blonde female singer, Julia Sheer. I tried the music just because it seemed to fit most of his criteria, and it was a success!

It amazes me how many times I go on such a music-detecting mission in the course of my job. My clients will come in and ask for "you know, that song we sang that one time in music therapy." My response is always, "I need some more information." Then we go into the questions. Eventually we figure it all out.

One of the challenges of being a music therapist.

Enjoy the song, Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA