Trying to Revision the Future

So, yesterday my principal called me into her office for yet another chat. This one, unlike the ones that have happened before, felt appropriate, professional, and respectful on both sides. I left feeling like my concerns about our upcoming renovation and subsequent relocation of the music therapy room YET AGAIN were not only heard, but being addressed. The meeting also left me feeling challenged.

She seemed to realize that a 7:30-3:30 schedule was not always the most effective schedule for clients in treatment and challenged me to think about my role at the facility. This was a good sign as I have been trying to communicate the idea of therapy as a separate type of intervention - removed from education but supportive of the same goals - for several years now. It was nice to hear that there could be some appropriate changes in my future as a music therapist.

I was thinking that this meeting would end up differently than it actually did. I am relieved that it took the turn towards thinking about what is best for my KIDS! That (in my opinion) is where the focus should always be - not on teachers, not on therapists, but on the clients!!

I admit that there are times when I think of myself before I think of my clients - I am human after all. When given an opportunity to think about what I do in a completely different way, I have to think not only about what is best for my students, but what is best for me as well. Then, I have to think about what will work for my interns when they arrive. How will they fit into the therapy model? Lots of things to think about.

Open-ended challenges are something I really enjoy. I love problem-solving and designing options. It is a chance to dream big.

So, here are my thoughts.

  1. I am a person who does better with a set schedule, so I would want clearly defined times for working: 7:30-5:30 or 8:30-6:30. Those times could change based on the day or the week, but a set time would be better for me than just showing up to pull kids whenever.
  2. Our students deserve active treatment throughout their treatment day. That includes time outside of the school day. 
  3. It is important for students to have coordinated treatment and therapy between all of the professionals that provide those services. So, therapists, case workers, and direct service folks should be working together to help kids get to their goals.
  4. There is no reason why therapists should be the only folks giving teachers planning time. The situation appears to be that teachers expect the therapists to babysit students in order to get their planning time. This is a situation that has been encouraged by the administration but has not been the best format for therapy. (This has irritated me since I do not get the same amount of planning or preparation time as a classroom teacher even though I am supposed to do so! (It is just difficult when I have to provide every other teacher with 2 hours of service per week. Grump!)
This has been a week of surprising revelations at work. There may be other therapy positions opening up at this time at the facility. This was an interesting development as the residential side of things has been resistant to an actual therapist providing recreation services. This idea stimulated my thinking about moving away from school back into the residential side of things. This new opportunity has me rethinking this plan...

Ooh, lots of new things to ponder. I love this type of challenge. What could my job look like in two months??

Hooray!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA