What to Do?? What to Do?? What to Do??

It's the second day of Spring Break, and I am looking for something to do...

Of course, there is the typical stuff that I SHOULD be doing - laundry, cleaning, cooking, throwing things away, and the various and sundry other things that have been waiting for me to "get to them." So, now I have to decide what I am going to do today.

Now, because I am a music therapist and a musician, I often sing to myself. This behavior has been increasing lately as I have been making up short mantras and singing them to myself. For example, "It is not my job to make everyone happy. They have to make themselves happy." This mantra is sung in a major key with lots of syncopation. Another current mantra is, "Spring Break is here." 

These mantras allow me to put my emotions into music. I like this for several reasons. First, using music allows me to regulate my breathing, my heart beat, and my muscle tension. Second, the lyrics encourage me to put my emotions into concrete phrases that I can acknowledge and then problem solve. The best thing, for me, is that once those emotions are out in the environment, I can start to figure out a way to fix my issues...

There is a very strong possibility that I will be singing to myself today. Good thing the cat is used to my (hee, hee) caterwauling. She'll turn her green eyes towards me and will just leave the room.

So, how would a decision song go? Let's see...

What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?
What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?

Maybe I will start the laundry,
Maybe I will grocery shop.
Maybe I will clean-up the craft room,
Maybe I will take a nap!

What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?
What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?

Maybe I will crochet a scarf,
Maybe I will make some gifts.
Maybe I will eat some ice cream,
Maybe I will take a nap!

What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?
What am I going to do today?
What am I going to do?

There is my "What to do" song. I need to write it down and put it in my TME file for use with others later. There we go, that's one of the things that I am going to do today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA