Biting Off More Than I Can Chew

There are times when I overextend myself. Is that really a big surprise to anyone who knows anything about me? Probably not. On the other hand, I tend to do better when I am busy, challenged, and constantly thinking about things that are going on around me.

I saw a post by a Music Therapist acquaintance where she was talking about the importance of self-care. This is always a challenge for me, but is something that is very important to talk about and think about all of the time. 

We are helpers by nature. You cannot be an effective therapist and be completely self-centered. There are times, though, when all of us need to focus on our "selves" rather than on others. Self-care is an important skill for a therapist to cultivate.

Personally, I often find myself in need of serious self-care when I am too busy. At the times when I have too much to do, too much to think about, and too many demands, I find it difficult to take time away from my clients and their needs. After being a therapist for a long time, I have learned that I have to refresh myself in order to be a better therapist. When I am not proactive in taking some time to simplify my life, my body rebels and just stops working the right way.

In researching a presentation that I recently offered to music therapy interns, I came across several articles and websites about self-care, burnout, and compassion fatigue. Here are some links to information that I found interesting...



So, now as I am currently sitting in my bedroom, writing this post, I am making plans for Spring Break. I always have grandiose plans for my school breaks including cleaning, organizing, projects, and catching up with friends. My reality often includes napping, frustration, difficulty getting motivated, and boredom. I am going to allow myself to nap. I am going to allow myself to be bored, but I am also going to set two goals for the break. I am going to go to the doctor to get my health checked (at a time when I am relatively healthy), and I am going to clean my craft room. There. 

I will make an effort to simplify my expectations for myself. While it is important to keep myself busy, it is also important to rest and take care of myself. So, for my vacation, I am going to vacate the role of therapist and just be a person for a while. Then, when I am finished with vacation, I will be able to be the therapist again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA