Hibernation

Dawn breaks outside the music room at my facility
I am at home after spending the night at my workplace due to BLIZZARD 2013!!! Can you hear the dramatic music swelling? Actually, the storm did cause lots of accidents, made the governor declare a state of emergency, and dumped between 10-14 inches of snow in 6 short hours. When I heard that the storm was coming, I brought food and clothing in addition to the winter weather kit that I keep in my car during these unpredictable weather months. It was a good thing that I did since I slept on the music room floor on Thursday evening.

When I am at work on snow days, I complete a modified schedule where I see every resident for a half-hour of group music therapy. I try to have Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs) that are unique and unusual for my students. Thursday's plans included using all of the manipulatives that I keep tucked away and watching Peter and the Wolf by Disney. By Friday, I decided it was time to be more active in making music. We did a large instrument Round Robin, playing the Cloudy Day Blues, a great song composed by Blythe Lagasse when she was a practicum student at my facility 16 years ago. I color-coded all the large instruments - the keyboards, drum set, and guitars. Everyone took turns playing the instruments, keeping up with the chord changes. It was a good day, but exhausting!

So, now it is time to hibernate. I think the bears have the right idea of spending lots of time sleeping during the cold winter months. I wish I could do the same, but, alas, I am not a bear. I am human, and humans do not have the ability to hibernate. Sigh.
My hibernation patterns often include working on the computer, reading books, making things for my music therapy sessions, and baking. Today, I plan on staying in my pajamas while working on a webinar, finishing up a pre-approved provider application packet for CBMT, and taking a nap at some time. The luxury of a day when I do not have to go anywhere or see anyone is valuable, and I mean to enjoy it!

Here's to snow days and snowed-in days! I'm off to hibernate! See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA