Having Some Fun

Yesterday, I had some time to do something that I absolutely love to do. I created something new!

My mom got me a CuttleKids Shape Maker(TM) for Christmas along with two sets of die cuts. The first set is the caterpillar that you see here. The second set is flowers, stems, and leaves. When I saw the device and the die cuts, my mind started going into creation mode. What could I do with these things??



 I am a big fan of visual schedules for my clients with autism. I also like them for my clients who tend to be bossy. I use picture schedules, word schedules, mystery schedules, you name it!

So, when given an opportunity to make something, I go towards schedules!

The caterpillar seemed to be a good structure for this project.

I opted for five spots on my caterpillar, a mini file folder for use with one client at a time, and a blue color scheme. I also decided to use a silver Sharpie (TM) once I saw that the blue of the caterpillar needed some contrast to be easily seen.

Here is the caterpillar schedule. I have left lines to write choices for Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs) and boxes for checking off when the TME has been completed. In retrospect, I realized that this caterpillar could be laminated as one piece rather than having pieces to move around, but the next one will be more thought through and will look a little bit different. I'm thinking I will make one that uses pictures instead of words. Ooh, maybe even slots to put picture cards or word cards into to see the schedule! The ideas keep on flowing...

I love the opportunity to create. Whether it is a schedule, a song, a craft, or another piece of creativity, I enjoy the process of making things. I also enjoy teaching others to make things. If you are interested in a project sheet on how to make this scheduler, send me an email at contactus@musictherapyworks.com and I'll send you a copy of the project sheet. I'll even throw in a pattern that you can use to make your own caterpillar (not the CuttleKids pattern since that is a copyrighted image). Just let me know, and get the creativity going in your own life.

Now it is time to write a song about my caterpillar friend, and how he will help us finish all our goals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA