Does Anyone Need a Pencil??

I am starting to clean up and clear out my various environments - work, home, and mental.

One of the things that I have found in my pack rat existence is an obsession with pencils. I have hundreds of them - novelty, colored, sharpened, and unsharpened! Some have memories attached - like the one from Disneyland that is shaped like Mickey's ears. Others are just regular pencils.

Do you think that my obsession with pencils is linked to the phrase, "A good musician always has a pencil?" I'm starting to think so...

Of course, a good musician does not have to have hundreds of pencils, so I am starting a PENCIL INITIATIVE for the Fall season.

Here it goes!

The first thing that will happen is that every one of my choir members will have a pencil in his or her folder by the end of the day. 

Second, I'm going to use my pencils at the AMTA conference as incentives for my business and my internship.

The last part of the pencil initiative is to clean up and clear out! Each time I throw out or donate one bag of stuff, I will put a pencil in the clean up jar. When I gather fifty pencils, I will buy the new season of The Big Bang Theory as my reward!

Positive reinforcement combined with organization and re-purposing materials in one fell swoop. Plus - the added benefit of advertising my website without having to purchase anything new, and getting to be creative!

I am going to spend some time in the next 16 days (before the AMTA conference) putting stickers and business cards in pencil kits for the internship fair as well as for other encounters and advertising. I am also going to spend time clearing my house and work of unwanted things. In the long run, this will enable me to be a more organized person in all areas of my life.

Off to start step one of the PENCIL INITIATIVE!

Anyone need a pencil??
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA