Just Be SIlly

I enjoy being silly. There is something quite liberating about acting like a fool on purpose. To that end, I write silly songs to use with my clients.

There's a Pickle on my Head - This pickle!!
Forgive a little cross-promotion here, but I have published a therapeutic music experience (TME) titled There's A Pickle on my Head. Here is a link to my website and the Ideas and Experiences page. (Click the word link above).

This song is just supposed to be silly.

Of course, if clients also have a chance to work on body part identification or social awareness, that is just a happy accident, right? Right!

This is just one of the new songs and ideas that have arrived lately due to my attempts to jump start my creative brain (which has been dormant lately). Unlike the Flamingo Flop, which was directly inspired by one of my interns who has been singing about the pink birds, this one had no clear inspiration. It just popped into my head during office time. Then, the melody, chords, and TME plan followed...

Have you ever had to jump start your creativity? Do you ever feel that your job is becoming too serious? My recommendation? Just be silly!

Try things that are not usual for you. Use an accent to engage client attention. Play and sing songs in different modes. Sing about candy bars or hang nails. Just be silly. It is amazing how a bit of silliness can engage even the most recalcitrant client in appropriate interaction and engagement. I have been silly with the elderly, with folks in psychiatric treatment, and with my kids. If you can demonstrate being silly, then clients can feel free to engage as well. The best part of being silly is that you can accomplish many treatment goals when clients are invested, engaged, and having a good time.

Feel free to download all of the ideas and experiences that are located at the link above. Let me know how things work for you!

Be silly!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA