Refreshment of the Best Kind

A week from today, I am traveling to Atlanta for the American Music Therapy Association National Conference.

I will be joining therapists from around the world in celebrating what we do best - helping others through music. Conference week will include lots of discussions, lots of meetings, lots of difficult decisions for the profession of music therapy. There will be some celebrities - Mickey Hart, Jodi Picoult, and Ben Folds are going to be there during the week. (I probably will get into conversations with these people and not have a CLUE who they are until someone tells me later - I am notoriously famous for finding out later that the people that talk to me are "names.") There will be many more friends, colleagues, mentors, and idols around than celebrities (thank goodness!).

I look forward to conference every year.

I insist on attending for the chance to be around therapists who do many things in their facilities that I never envisioned. I spend lots of time reevaluating my own therapeutic demeanor and engaging in the "wishing" part of my role as therapist. For example, "I wish I had the ability to see what was going on in my clients' brains." "I wish I could engage in formal research more." "I wish I could afford to buy all of these things for my kids."

I insist on attending for the opportunity to talk to other therapists who share my passion for music. I have met so many therapists who share some of the feelings that I have shared with you in this blog. Therapists who see the benefits of music everyday. Therapists who occasionally feel isolated or overwhelmed. Therapists who need refreshment as much as I do.

I will also be on the hunt for the perfect thing to bring back to my music therapy clinic. I spend so much time away from my work environment that I always bring back something tangible for my clients to see. This helps them understand that I was someplace else, learning about music therapy. I have found humongous triangles, a little bitty drum set, squeaky horses, harmony rattles, and lots of other things during my years. I will be on the lookout for the perfect addition to my instrument collection.

At the end of the week, I have the advantage of being close enough to family that I will be staying in Atlanta for my post-conference desperate need for sleep. I get to spend time with my grandmother who will trot out my aunt, cousins, great-aunts and uncles, and assorted second, third cousins. I hope that my brother and nephew will come down for some time to see me as well. This situation is perfect as I tend to be absolutely exhausted when conference is over. (I am getting more busy as my years in the association grow, so I have more obligations and less time to just enjoy conference.) I will get to sleep at Grandma's house. I will have a chance to just be a bit quiet there as well. Last year, I just sat during sessions in shock for the two days before the Thanksgiving break in a haze. I will skip that particular haze this year.

I hope you get a chance to attend a conference with your peers. It is important to network and meet others that share your views - or challenge those views.

I hope I get to meet you in Atlanta -

Mary Jane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA