Yoga and the 41-year old Body

I am not someone who shies away from my actual age. I am proud of being 41, and I tell people my age when asked. I am not one of those people who wish to go back to high school to do it again.

Having said all that, I am trying to improve my health through changes in my diet and exercise patterns. I would like to be around for much longer than these 41 years that I have had.


My new exercise of choice is yoga. I like the philosophy of breathing, self-awareness, and stretching that permeates the discipline of yoga. 


Now, let me be completely honest with you. I am VERY overweight and need to lose about 80 pounds before I am EVER considered sleek and toned. I have chronic asthma, allergies of all kinds, and strange medical issues popping out all over and through my body on a regular basis. So, exercise regimes have not been very successful for me in the past. By the time I get into a routine, I get very sick or sprain something or have an asthma attack and am advised not to continue.


I decided on yoga because it is something that I can start on my own without having to go to a class full of perky aerobic goddesses. I have three yoga DVDs that are starting me off in an abbreviated manner. Yogi Marlon is about my age, has a soothing voice, and offers me practical tips for putting myself into the positions that she recommends.


Last night was my first session in a long time. I set out the yoga mat (much to the surprise of my cat) and started the DVD. Yogi Marlon and I lasted for 17 minutes of breathing, stretching, and balancing. Oh, did I mention my diagnosis of Meniere's Disease which affects my balance? Another reason to try yoga with an emphasis on balance in all areas of my life. The cat joined me on the mat for some perfect Cat poses (show-off) and to watch me as I tried to do the same.


I ended up sleeping deeply throughout the night and woke up still tired, but able to move pretty well. It is amazing how I can feel many of my muscles that were just muscles yesterday but today are demanding to be noticed!


The yoga mat will come out again tonight. I'm hoping to make it through 20 minutes of the workout this evening. I know that the breathing techniques (remarkably similar to those that I use with my students to assist them in attention to task and calming) are filling my brain and body with oxygen, increasing my blood flow, and helping me with my asthma. I will continue my quest to become more healthy and will continue my yoga practice. We will see how it starts to affect me and my music therapy practice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA