Back to the Grind

I went back to work this morning ready to get started. I arrived at work an hour early (not really all that unusual for me) and got ready to go. The maintenance department cleaned the carpet during the break, so things were not quite in the right place. I spent some time putting things back and then tackled the 109 emails that had been sent to me. I got ready for the day and went out to get kids off the bus.

Kids got off the bus with big grins - typical for the first day back to school - and walked in without a problem. I finished bus room and went back to the music room. Recently, the principal has decided that the data that we currently take as part of our treatment is not enough, so I received my own spiral notebook (illegal, by the way) so I can take additional data.

Now, I am all for data collection, but there needs to be some reason for taking the data. That has not been explained and all of the hoopla is an invented situation to keep a "favorite" on staff. I find this sort of thing to be a waste of my time as a therapist and will probably not use the book as I am supposed to. Oh well.

Anyway, back to my day.

I had five individual sessions with students who had never been in individual treatment with me before. Most of these students were kids on the autism spectrum who have significant communication deficits. I did some improvisation on the piano to reflect what they were doing in the room. Some students started to engage with me musically, playing the piano or moving in patterns to make specific music patterns. 

My intern applicant seemed to think that things were pretty cool. I think I will probably offer her the internship, but we will see.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA