Reflecting over the year

The end of the school year is the most important ending for me. As a therapist who works in a school setting, the end of May allows me to reflect on another year gone and over. The calendar year ending is irrelevant to me as a school therapist.

I enjoy the end of the school year. We work year-round, so this ending is really just a formality, but it is still an ending. We have a two-week break before the summer session begins, so I have a chance to sit at home and breathe deeply.

This year, 2009-2010, has been an interesting year. Our principal is in her second year of leading us, we have had a couple of crises in the residential side of our program, and people have had a difficult time adjusting to changes that have occurred in the past nine months.

I, personally, have had an interesting year as well. I have completed the training process of my 15th intern and decided to take a break from training. I am working towards my last remaining projects for my Ph.D., and I have taken on new professional responsibilities on a national level. All of this has taken some adjustment. I am enjoying the new challenges and am attempting to find my center in the mad rush that surrounds me.

As a therapist, I have found this year to be draining. Part of that drain has been working with interns who have needed lots of assistance in finding their way through the last learning process of their education. Another part of that drain has been caused by co-workers who are burning out of their jobs. As a therapist, I am often the person that hears about everyone's issues and problems. I rarely hear about the good things that happen. I have had to engage in cognitive retraining of my thought processes in order to remain therapeutic.

My mantra for Lent was "look for the silver lining." I had to search for positives in all situations that caused negative feelings in me. I kept challenging myself (and continue to do so) to remain positive in all interactions with others, especially those that were difficult. I have had limited success.

In the vein of looking for the positive, let me list some of the good things that happened this year:
  • I survived another year with a pastor who has told me that if I disagree with her, I am a minion of Satan - seriously, she did!
  • My interns have graduated able to demonstrate most of the AMTA professional competencies
  • I have transitioned from being a committee member to being a committee chairperson
  • I have started my competency projects for my Ph.D. program after spinning my wheels for three years
  • My health is good
  • I still love music therapy, even after 17 years in the profession
  • I am taking a break from training interns in order to be refreshed when the next two interns arrive
All of these things and a 17-day break from work, too. How lucky can one music therapist be??

See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA