Day 5...

The fifth day of the Summer vacation has started off in an auspicious manner. The cat, not enjoying the fact that I was finally starting to get into the groove of sleeping in and relaxing, decided to eat a plant and upchuck on the bedspread. I hope this is not a portent of what is to come.

Progress has been made on the craft room. I have removed lots of the plastic shelving that has stored junk, so there is more room to move. I have sorted through years and years of accumulated paperwork, memories, and junk. I will be tossing things into the trash bin today. What a rejuvenating feeling!

There is still more to do, but I have a nice start going.

In addition to clearing out the junk room, I have been organizing my thoughts about music therapy. One of my former interns announced that she is now selling insurance in addition to working in music therapy part-time. It is difficult to watch as music therapists cannot afford to be music therapists in this current economic climate. I am fortunate that my job is considered important to my facility and will continue to be a job, even when faced with economic issues. I cannot imagine having to find another supplemental job to remain financially solvent.

There has been lots of discussion about "the land of 5000 MTs" on the listserve lately. People bemoaning (wow, I've used lots of large words in this entry) the fact that AMTA membership has not increased even though numbers of graduates continues to increase. People danced around what I think is the crucial issue. We, as educators and internship directors, are not preparing students for the actual job market. We do not include business courses as part of the curriculum, we continue to prepare students for established positions rather than contracts, and often have issues with changing our ideas about the realities of music therapy rather than what we want to believe.

I know that my interns are primarily not working as music therapists right now. Out of the 16 students that I have trained, I believe that no more than 6 are working as music therapists at this time. We discuss the fact that there are music therapy jobs available, if you are able to relocate. Most of my interns have not been willing or able to relocate; therefore, they have had to pursue other professions. They all state that they wished they could remain music therapists full time, but just cannot in their locations. I am saddened as they are all good therapists who would be valuable team members in any position. We often talk during their internships about my perception of the job market for music therapists. I may be right, or I may be wrong. It is difficult to tell from my sheltered position as a full-time music therapist.

It is rough out there as a music therapist. Right now, music education programs are being cut, so music therapy programs are eliminated as well. Music therapy is considered a luxury rather than an essential treatment modality. I think this is one reason why we do not increase our membership numbers.

Another reason is lack of preparation for the responsibilities of the job of music therapist. I was well prepared by my academic program to be an employee. I am a good employee and function well within the environment of a facility. I am not prepared to be a contract or private practice music therapist. If I lost my current job, I would have to look for another established position rather than go it on my own as a private practitioner. I do not know anything about self-employment taxes, business plans, etc. I believe that most educational programs do not prepare students for the realities of being a private contractor.

Yet another reason, in my opinion, is the continued feelings of isolation. There are few therapists who work in a facility with more than one music therapist. It is hard to go it alone. We also do not appear to adequately prepare professionals for burnout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA