Crossing the Line
I think that we, as music therapists, must be aware of habits and attitudes that interfere with our growth and development as professionals. One such attitude is that of "if a music therapist isn't present, then others cannot use music as a medium for therapy." This attitude is often presented when we feel threatened that another professional can do our jobs simply by adding music into psychotherapy or into speech-language treatment. I feel that any use of music in any form of therapy is a good advertisement for music therapy - familiarity with the power of music as a therapeutic medium often opens the door for a music therapist.

The issue for me comes when professionals from other disciplines state that they offer "music therapy." I am often approached by educators on how to incorporate music therapy into their educational programming. When I talk to them further, they reveal that they do not want to pay a music therapist to facilitate therapy, but want to incorporate music into their schedule. I then explain that they are practicing "music-enhanced education" rather than music therapy. I often write programs for educators to use to enhance student learning. After all, every music therapist is aware of the power of music for memory enhancement and recall. I do stress and insist that they do not refer to their programs as "music therapy."

I feel that we need to educate and "hook" possible and potential funders with tastes of music as a therapeutic medium in order to encourage them to add music therapy to the treatment of clients.

We, as a profession, need to get rid of our professional jealousy and then start to work within the system.

My two cents...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA