Decisions

Who would be a better match for me? Who would be a better match for my clients? Who would be a better match for the interns I currently supervise? Who will I accept? Who will I reject?

These are some of the decisions that I have had to make over the past four days. I am a person who typically makes decisions after weighing the pros and cons of each side, deliberating with others, and really thinking through all possibilities. Once I make the decision, whether it is about voting, sweater color, financial issues, I tend to accept that the decision has been made, and I move on. I spend as little time as possible rueing a decision that I have made.

I get uncomfortable when my decisions impact the lives of others. I prefer when my decisions are "yes you" or "not you" rather than "you, but not you." I remember getting a very curt rejection letter from my "safety" application for internship, and it stung that they did not even want to meet me or give me a chance to interview with them. (It all turned out fine, I got my first choice of internship and have been very grateful for that opportunity!) I guess I have to realize that, as an ID, I have to make my decisions and not look back.

But, my heart bleeds for the rejected applicant who will be reading my letter of rejection this week.

I wish I could have taken her as an intern as well as the two applicants that meshed better with my current plans, position, and interns.

Make the decision. Don't look back. And sincerely wish the other one her first choice of internship! (And sincerely hope that it wasn't my placement.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA