Back to basics...
Rhythm is still working. It always surprises me that the simplest elements of music are the best for communication and relationship building. It is very functional for elementary-aged students to sit and play with rhythm instruments for a 50-minute session. They start to interact with each other, they establish eye contact, and they start to listen to things outside of themselves. The rhythm provides the structure.

One of my favorite quotes...

"Structures are restraints - a way of limiting.
What you can build within restraints and structures is almost limitless."
-- Coretta Kent

Providing that structure increases the opportunities for creativity and communication. Just a thought.

Comments

  1. And all this time I just thought you all were beating sticks together! Just kidding....being one of those "alternative" therapists myself, I understand!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA