Weekly Goals - Trying to Manage My Saturdays for Self-Care Only

picture of a open book that includes features for planning including post-it notes with listed tasks and decorative stickers
I had to work during much of my only day that doesn't include work (usually). I was engaged in things that I enjoy - learning about video editing and making videos - but it was still a work day for me.

This is one of the things that I am trying to avoid doing with the incorporation of my desired evening routine, but, as these things often end up, I am at the mercy of others to complete my tasks. I had just finished sending out the YouTube link for my Sunday School video (my newest task as "Music Director" - I'm curious as to how this happened, but I'm still getting paid, so I am fine with it) when the other person who was asked to read sent me her files. I had to send out panicked "Don't use that link" emails and then re-do the project. A task that took 3 hours initially ended up taking 6 hours in total with my slow uploading situation (I think I may need a new modem). I had a bit of time for self-care, but not as much as I need for my own ability to be an essential healthcare worker in these times.

So, I have found some more motivation for my evening routine! I did pretty well with staying up a bit later than before - four out of 7 days this past week - but I am not really using the time well yet. About the time I get this ready, the time will change here in the States, and I will be forcing myself to stay up even longer - I will try to remember that right now and strive for an even later time in the bedroom than I have achieved this past week...hmmmmm. At least we get to "Fall Back" this time around the globe.

I used my R2-D2 timer and my "Change to do something different every 30 minutes" plan yesterday to get things finished. I did one load of dishes (I have more to do), made chili, folded and put away most of the clean clothing, put the dirty clothing in the washer (to be laundered today - I need clean masks for tomorrow), straightened up a bit in the craft room, filmed, edited, and re-edited videos, and watched two Star Wars movies. So, there was a bit of self-care in yesterday, but not as much as I would like, so it is time to refine my goals for this week once again.

Tonight will be my first night of staying up later than usual. I am going to focus on clearing out some of my living room area this evening. I have confidential shredding to corral for a trip to my shredding service, lots of junk that needs to be tossed, and an exercise bike to uncover and then USE! I would like to fill one bag for the dumpster and then fit in a "ride" this evening before I head back to the comfort of my bed. I have about 8 hours between finishing my job for today and the time I would like to go to sleep, so I have plenty of time for some work and some just sitting and relaxing. I am to the point in this month where my next month needs to be filled out in my journal. I will probably spend some time in my craft room, filling out my bullet journal format for the next two months. Something that will give me a bit of pleasure and something for self-care!

The picture at the top of this post is my current format for my personal journal. I have chosen a monthly/weekly meld for my own time and task tracking. Daily pages and an annual page is wasted on me, so I am drawing my own formats and spreads to use. I recently realized that I have a TON of small post-it flags from a subscription box that I get monthly, so I am using those in my weeklies as well. Every week, I sit down with a new bunch of post-it flags, and I list my chores, tasks, and appointments for the week in my journal. The tasks are on the flags so I can move them around and then toss them when the tasks are finished. For this upcoming week, I have my usual tasks - cat care stuff, tossing out, and reading every night. I also have my evening routine in a 30 minute format to help me get into a routine. The other batch of flags contains the tasks that I need to do to finish my video for next week's online Sunday School. If other tasks come up, I use another post-it note. No reason to be hoarding those, right??

I feel the need to be thinking about and engaging in self-care more purposefully at the moment. This is my usual pattern during the autumn months as I end up starting to feel better about myself than I do in the summer months. I realize how much I need to do to cultivate my own creativity, my knowledge, and my interest in things outside my life. This year, as everyone knows, is significantly different (and yet, still the same needs pop up) but that is because it is just "more" than in previous years. So, I will be using my post-it flags and my journal to record my self-care practices as well. Exercise? Yep. reading? Yep. What else will end up going on that list? Staying up "late?" Taking time away from stressing about all of this? Perhaps. I want my Saturdays to be reserved for taking naps and doing things that I want to do in each moment, so I will continue to strive to fill up my other days.

Thanks for reading, and I will "see" you very soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA