Yesterday's Adventures in Sunday School Programming

As one of my jobs, I function as a music director for a small, rural, Methodist church. My job now includes being a Sunday School teacher, and, as part of that role, I am now in charge of our annual Sunday School programs. Our Christmas program was yesterday...in the midst of the first major snow storm of the season...with an ever evolving cast of players...and lots of littles who did NOT want to sing in front of other people!

This is part of my role as a music therapist/church musician that I both love and dread.

My Sunday School students come and go which make it difficult to plan a program that includes readings and roles and costumes. One of the kids that I was expecting didn't make it yesterday and two arrived that were completely unexpected! Fortunately, I've done this enough that I can be flexible (I thank my therapy training for that) and was able to find roles for the surprise Sunday Schoolers without too much trouble.

No one really seemed to get overly anxious or excited. I think I found the best balance of waiting and movement. The littles got up with the big kids for our first presentation and then the big kids went down and the littles had a chance to sing.

Now, the person who leads the music for the little bits' class is a female tenor. She cannot sing in a range that a two-year old can sing in, so singing is almost always a fiasco. I try to sit nearby to sing in a decent range for the kids, but the tenoress is very loud and VERY nervous, so I tend to be overtaken! The kids did not sing well, and one who usually sings quite a bit looked very concerned. All of a sudden, her skirt was pulled up around her ears and her diaper was sinking! She looked panicked. We sprang into action to get her diaper refastened and then she started to sing with gusto!

That was the biggest issue that we had!

Rather than have the first graders learn scripture responses, we worked on pantomiming. They acted out several scripture readings - I read and edited as needed to assist us in getting the point across - and displayed their surprised and joy-filled expressions. They also showed fear and trepidation! It was wonderful!!

And now, it is finished!!

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday worrying that no one would show, but they all did (including several extra ones!!). The pastor didn't make it, but I did, and now I am finished with this particular Christmas event. On to the next one!

I do enjoy a good program, and I also enjoy being the coordinator of said programs. I am also very thankful when the stresses of all of this hype and hoopla is OVER!!

That's where I am right now. One program down, one to go.

Happy December, fellow musicians!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA