TME Central - Thoughtful Thursday

The day after Christmas is always one of reflection for me. I do as much as I can to enjoy the actual day itself - not many pictures or rituals other than the ones that my family has always completed - and very little in the way of cataloging or thinking about work stuff. The next day, however, I am usually awake way before any other member of my family - two hour time difference, and I don't acclimatize to sleeping in well - so I spend most of my time thinking about the holiday and about all the things I want to get finished during my break from work. It almost always includes things for work as well as thing for my home - which is currently far away from where I am. 

Today's reflection is coming from a place of jet lag.

I have five days of being here with my family - loose plans for two of those days - lots of time of shopping with my mom and my sister - we have a deal: I go to two stores without complaining. After two? They can either put up with my crankiness or take me back to my parents' house. They usually take me back!! I'm not sure why I didn't get the shopping gene the way my sister did, but I'm secretly perfectly fine with that!! I already have WAY too much, and Christmas is always a time for more stuff.

Yesterday, I received a slit drum (from the thrift store, but in EXTREMELY good shape and has a great sound), lots of art supplies (as opposed to crafting supplies), and cash! My dad got all of us t-shirts of various kinds as well. It was an artsy-tshirt-cash type of holiday, and that is great for me!!

My thoughts (after some sleep) have turned themselves to matters of therapeutic music experience development (because that's just what my brain does when it is 5:17 local time and my sister has turned on her television but isn't likely to show up downstairs for another couple of hours - AT LEAST!!), so here is my current inspiration - my stocking contents!

I don't know about you all, but I get lots of things crammed into my stocking - some of it very functional (there are lint rollers, toothbrushes, kleenexes, and ace bandages in the picture below - and some of it just sorta absurd - anyone see the "Meow" packaging? That's a set of cat bag ties. The pink tongues stretch out and tighten around the bag opening. Those are functions, but also pretty silly. I got the 2020 Farmer's Almanac for "farmers and city folk", one STAR WARS koozie, and Santa came through with a bit of cash! My mind immediately goes into thinking and planning mode when I start to go through the stuff!

I usually get Grover things from my mom because she knows that he is my favorite Sesame Street character, so I got a fuzzy and blue monster along with a book about going to school. I think I'll do a visual to support the book - something that doesn't include the pictures of Grover but that can be used with the book and with an original song that I'll compose at some point today or tomorrow. I have to read the story again. 

 The almanac is a surprising resource for TME development. I don't often think to look in that book for inspiration, but a quick flip through this morning revealed lots of information about astronomical events, how to prepare soil, when to plant, how to use interesting veggies in recipes, and lots of other information that could be relevant to how I live my life. I was surprised, but I'll be exploring that resource a bit more - especially in the next couple of months as I start to pull together the spring month versions of sing about songs.

I have additional inspiration in my present stack at my parents' house, but I haven't had a chance to go through all of that to remember what I was gifted. I think the general message for me is create!

I'm going to take my idea books over to my gift stack and start looking at what I have and what I can do with it. The ideas that have started due to stocking stuff are pretty interesting, and I feel a need to write them down so I have a record of all the thoughts...

Keep an eye out on my website and my Teachers Pay Teachers store for some of the new ideas coming from all this stuff!!

I hope that you had a great day yesterday! Here's to great days coming in the future as well! "clink!"
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA