Egad! Taking a Break is HIGHLY Recommended

My very unhelpful "assistant"
I have spent quite a bit of time lately just staring at my computer screen. For the past two days, I've moved away from this forum and have been playing with paper, pencils, pens, and planning.

I spent some time thinking through some of the things that I want to accomplish in my life. I sat down with all my books of thoughts and schedules and plans and ideas and then figured out some things to do in the near future. I figured out a way to make what seems like insurmountable tasks into manageable and easy-to-track steps, and I was able to follow through on that idea. I organized some things for this next year, and I settled on my word of the year. I've mind mapped this word into some goal thoughts. I feel so very focused at the moment, and that is something that I haven't experienced for a long time.

Now, I'll admit that some of the same old insecurities will be lingering - that always happens - but I at least have some concrete steps to work on when anxiety rears its ugly head.

I know that self-care is something that is very important to us all - especially to those of us who are active therapists - and personally, I often struggle with identifying the self-care strategies that I need when I need them. I admit, I am better at this than I used to be, but the last week has shown me that I still have a long way to go!

So, I took a break from work yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out my new digestive system, and I figured wrong on Monday evening. Tuesday was the result. I'll spare you the details, but it involved lots of trips down the hallway and a couple of naps as well. I feel much better today which means that Mexican food and peach pie are the digestion culprits from Monday's meal. I will do some experimenting with the peach pie today to see if that was, indeed, part of the problem, and then I'll add it to my list of things not to eat if I have to do anything the next day. Ah, aging really vacuums, you know??

Back to my original post thought now...

I have enjoyed the break that I have experienced so far. I have given myself the permission to just be. I have no goals for this break other than to make my favorite food and see if I can digest it now, and then do what strikes my fancy. Today, my fancy led me to clean part of the kitchen. Dishes are being washed right now, and I am getting ready to do some cooking. My fancy has also led me to take a nap, finish a project that I started last week, and to eat things that are on my "this is okay to eat" list. I also took out the recycling!

I have also had my moments of anxious thoughts and clutches in my gut about thoughts that are trying to intrude, but I have been able to acknowledge them and then move them on and away from me. Nothing is perfect, but I am making this work for me at the moment.


There are three more days (without having to work at all) left of this break, and I plan on doing what makes me joyful. That's right. 

So, bring on the peach pie (maybe), the food lists, and the goal setting. Bring on the talks with family members, the scented candles, the thoughts of gifts for family and friends, and whatever else occurs to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA