Back on Track...For Now

This past Saturday was a day that I devoted to thinking and working on my computer on various projects. I alternated between working and sleeping. It was heavenly, and it reminded me that I enjoy making things and working on music therapy theory and techniques. I like the opportunity to sit and think as well as to dream of what could be in the world of music therapy.

I took my Saturday as a day to finish things. I stayed in my pajamas and moved my computer to my back room where I could recline while working, and it worked really well for me. I wish I could do that type of thinking and creating every day, but I cannot. The need for a paycheck compels me to go out into the world, dressed in real clothes, to enter a world of music therapy sessions and school-based therapy situations.

As I move from home mode into work mode, I am getting my session strategies together in my mind. I will lead two group sessions today, and I will watch two other group sessions today. I have a new guitar student for music therapy this afternoon, and a couple of pull-out sessions to oversee. Then I have some work time in my office that needs to be structured so I actually get some things finished today.

I usually spend most of my office time sitting rather than getting things done. This is a problem because things don't get finished. I am going to change that for this afternoon. After the last group session, and before my adaptive lesson, I am going to go for a walk around the facility, get a cold drink from the vending machine, and then start my work routine. I will either start with writing a therapeutic music experience or sorting materials in my office, but I will get something started. Thirty minutes of this sort of work and then thirty minutes of the other sort of work until time is up or the chores are finished.

I am currently battling chronic fatigue, so by the time my group sessions are over, I am usually pretty tired. I am hoping that a walk and a cold drink will help me find some energy and will keep me going during the afternoon. If it works today, I may see about making a routine every afternoon to include a walk and a drink just to see if it helps me do what I need to do. 

For now, though, I am going to take my relaxing Saturday into the Monday after time change, getting ready for everything that needs to be done for my clients. 

My mantra, which has helped me in the past, will help me today. Here's what I do before sessions (mostly the ones that have been bad, but I'm thinking I should do this more regularly). I sit, breathe a bit, and then send up a prayer - God, help me be the therapist that these clients need in this moment right now. Thank you.

For this moment, right now, I am ready to move into my world of music therapy clients and interventions and sessions and challenges. That's what needs to happen right now - being ready to move into the day. It is just about time to leave the comfort of my bed, disturb the cat who is sleeping on my knee, get dressed in my work uniform, and move into the world. The day will be what the day will be, and I will be okay with that no matter what happens.

I'm feeling like I am back on track for the moment, and that is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA