A Little Bit of Advocacy, A Little Bit of Ethics - A Day in the Life of This Music Therapist

This is not going to be a typical Thursday for me. It is a day full of different things, and I am ready for a break and a change.

I will be spending some time in (gulp) less than 5 hours talking to a high school health class about music therapy. I haven't done a career talk before, and the student who invited me asked me to specifically talk about music as a way to help work through stress, so I am getting myself geared up for a discussion as well as some experiential work on that topic. In the midst of all of this, I have to clean up my home because the management company is coming in to change the furnace filters and they will not be able to reach the furnace the way things are now. There we go. After I do my clean-up, the talk, and some grocery shopping, I will be spending the rest of this day working on some ethical thought concerning being an internship director for a course I will be offering later this year.

I don't usually have this sort of opportunity to talk about music therapy, so I am really looking forward to it. I am getting my shaker eggs together, I'll be putting together a movement-based survey, and a quick list of tips for high schoolers on how to use music to reduce stress. I have no idea how many folks will be present, so I am unsure if I should try to take copies of things - I think I'll put stuff up on my website and take pdfs with me. That should work...

I'm off to coordinate my efforts to clear up and clean out. The cat is starting to want some attention, so it is time to start my unusual advocacy, ethical day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA