Book Reading This Week...



Well, I started my new, personally motivated, professionally enriching book challenge this week. I sat down and made myself a reading tracker to include in my CMTE tracking notebook, and I started with the first chapter of Wellness, Incorporated: The Health Entrepreneur's Handbook by Jennifer Buchanan.

I sat down with my notebook - the cool Star Wars one that I'm using for tracking my continuing education these days - and opened up my Kindle. I downloaded (after paying for) this book when it first came out, because I really enjoy Jennifer Buchanan, and I admire her ability to be a music therapy entrepreneur. I have another one of her books on my reading list as well - one that is more about how to do music therapy than how to do business, but this one is the one I need right now.

I have been working on figuring out what I want for myself and the world of music therapy. To do this, I've been focusing on my vision for my future. I foresee a time when my body will just not be able to do what I currently have to do, so I am trying to get things going now so that I can make the switch when I need to do so. My focus for this CMTE cycle is working on my business acumen and to firm up what it is that I want to do for music therapists. 
My "CMTE" Notebook - where my notes live...

As a result of my current focus - trying to make my business into a business - I am finding books about business most interesting. I know that this will change here pretty soon, but this is my focus for the moment. 

So, I started into the text. I read through the introduction (always interesting to read) and made it through Chapter One. I am currently working through the challenge questions at the end of Chapter One and am refining my vision for what I want to do through this part of my life as a music therapist.

I only got through one chapter this week. I am a much faster reader than this indicates, but I got through one chapter this week. I'm trying my best to focus deeply on what I've read and what it means to me as an entrepreneur. This is also working in with the business challenge that I've been doing, led by Rachelle Norman and Mary Altom. Everything has a common thread these days.

If you are interested in more about the book that I'm currently reading, or if you would like to be part of an online book club, let me know in the comments below. 

In the meantime, I'm going to be working through my thoughts and feelings about this new way of thinking about what I do as a music therapist and what I do in this profession.






Buchanan, J. (2019). Wellness, Incorporated: The health entrepreneur's handbook. TuneInPress; Bright Wing Books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA