The Biggest Challenge of All - For Me, At Least

I'm currently doing a business challenge led by two music therapy business superstars, and there were some questions about why I was attending, and that started me to think about my feelings and knowledge and the biggest hole in my education and professional knowledge of being a music therapist.
I know very little about being a business person, and the thought terrifies me!
I have never been able to take a class on basic business concepts or methods, and my primary way of being comfortable in doing new things is to study it thoroughly in every way possible before trying it out.

Do you know that I've had a business-focused website for 24 years? Do you know that my passion is to help you, fellow therapist, with some of the chores that we all have to do? Do you know that I want to help you stay a music therapist through offering you some fresh ideas, some ways to make things easier, and helping you work smarter, not harder? I just don't know how to do these things in a business format!

So, I am participating in this business challenge because I want to learn more about how to be in business.

I have some of the basics down - I know about business plans and mission statements. I know about getting licenses to operate and taxes to pay. I know about making and selling products (and I've got SO many of them to offer!). What I don't know is how to coordinate all of my knowledge into something that actually works! 

So, that's why I signed up for this particular business challenge. I know that there will be lots of information on how to expand my current interests into something that will help out my fellow music therapists and help me a bit financially as well. I know that there will also be lots of information that will not necessarily apply directly to the type of business that I want to run, but I can make transfers, so it will be very valuable...also, in the back of my mind, I have this idea for a community music therapy center that I would love to establish...once I win the lottery!

I've also got to tell you that music therapy small business owners are my heroes and inspirations! I envy the skills that they have used to establish business presences, and I have always felt that my own skills as a music therapist are somewhat lacking because I have never been able to get my ideas going. 

If you are out there, worrying about the next contract or whether you will ever find a therapist to cover your waiting list, please know that I am firmly in your corner, rooting you on, and feeling so very proud to share the title of music therapist with you! 
I am sure that I will be writing more and more about the thoughts that are coming up as I go through this challenge. Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA