Thinking the Deep Thoughts...In the Midst of Nursery Rhyme Songs

The raw materials of making visuals
Yesterday afternoon, I took it upon myself to sit down and work on the large stack of visual aids that I had been producing. I (goblin alert) should have been cleaning my bedroom, but I did get to that later on during the day. I sat down with my stacks of cardstock, my scissors, and my laminating machines, and I knocked out a bunch of projects - all while thinking a bit more deeply about the Therapeutic Function of Music model developed by Dr. Deanna Hanson Abromeit, Ph.D., MT-BC.

I love the dichotomy that is often present in my life. I am sitting there, working with nursery rhyme songs, while contemplating something that I feel is the foundation of what I do as a music therapist. Theory and practicality - all in the same moment.

This happens to me quite often. I may be internally reviewing the therapeutic function of music within a session all while saying things like, "Play with your hands, not your head," or "Hands on lap," or "Pants stay on in music therapy." It's a strange life I lead. I know there are others who can appreciate this thought and that find themselves in these types of situations as well. 

I use this type of exercise - thinking while doing something else - as part of my self-care routine on a regular basis. The best way for me to work out how I feel about something in particular is to engage my hands and one part of my brain on a task and then allow the other parts of my brain to rove through various topics. Add some index cards, a pencil, a stack of post-it notes, and the random notebook nearby, and I can usually figure out the problems that face me in that moment. 

Yesterday's laminating pile included some resources I purchased from Teachers Pay Teachers (here's the link to the materials - they are not mine, and I get no financial benefit from any purchases you make on TPT). These cards are not ones that I can use with all of my students, but I have some that will enjoy these. I will explore ways to use them in therapy and probably write a bit about them pretty soon. I currently have printed out two of these sets, and I have ten more to go. I'm not sure if I'll print them all out, but I have them in my digital files now. I also made some clip-it center cards. I have some more for my intern to put together to get some more hours. Now it is time to figure out my six ways of using these materials so I can justify having them in my music therapy clinic.

There is something kinda invigorating about doing mindless tasks while thinking deep thoughts. I think this is the closest that I ever get to meditation. I am looking for a way to merge the Therapeutic Function of Music model with my way of focusing on the therapeutic elements of music. There are some striking similarities, but there are also some striking differences between the model and what I do. I think there will be a merge of the ideas and concepts of these two ways of thinking, but it will take LOTS more nursery rhyme song cards before I fully flesh it out in my mind.

Time to start printing out some stuff and thinking about other stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA