Classroom Theme - Oh, the Possibilities!

I have a great idea for a classroom theme that I will never get to use because I am not that sort of classroom teacher and my sister who is that type of classroom teacher would NEVER go for this type of theme!

(Sorry for the run-on sentence - it just seems to be how I'm going to write these days...) 

My classroom theme even has a theme song!! It popped into my head yesterday as I was looking at this great collection of clipart that I have purchased a license for - Scrappin Doodles. I stumbled upon the Detective art, and I am hooked! The song is all about solving puzzles by using the information that we know.

I think that a detective theme would be so wonderful, especially for fourth grade. I'm not sure why I've arrived at fourth grade, but I like that age of kids and they seem to be interested in learning about the hows and whys of the world. I think I could whip all this into an engaging classroom theme if I devoted some time to it. 

This is one of the greatest regrets that I have about being a music therapist. I don't have lots of bulletin boards to decorate or a classroom to theme up! My clinic has a common decorating theme - stars - but that's it.

I know that I would have ended up being a teacher of some sort if I had not heard about my life's passion. I think I probably would have been a special educator, probably in a middle school/junior high school somewhere. That seems to be the most comfortable of my fantasy parallel stories, so I'm sure I would have taken that route. I probably also would have changed up my themes every year. I'm that type of person as well. I have done some spy themes for day camps in the past, and I've totally enjoyed coming up with decorations, events, activities, and curricula for these themes. I think being detectives would be very fun to flesh out into a full-out classroom environment. 

In my head, I see a large magnifying glass display on the doorway, welcoming students into the room to solve the mysteries of learning. I see some areas where problems are displayed like crime scenes - places where students have to engage their critical thinking skills to figure out answers, using concepts taught in class lectures. I see mini crime scene investigation kits around the room, stocked with rulers, pencils, different types of tools - magnifying glasses, microscopes, dictionaries, all sorts of things. I see badges to indicate classroom jobs and attendance and to highlight important information. I can see kids who know a specific concept becoming "expert witnesses" for those who need more assistance. Oh, it is so perfect!

I wonder if I can make something like this work in my music therapy clinic. I'm not sure that I can, but I could definitely put some of these ideas into music therapy programming in my school therapy job. Maybe instead of having a full-out theme surrounding everything, I could do some mini theme kits for music therapists. We could have our theme song (of course!!), a box of music-themed puzzles and challenges, and then I could bring those out every once in a while. I even have the boxes that I could use for storage. Maybe it could be somewhat like an escape room-type thing - without the room. Hm.

Music Detectives...

I need to think this through a bit, and see what I can create. 

Time to dream a bit about something that I've never done before and may never fully realize, but that's what dreams are, right?

Off to solve this particular mystery!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA