Daily Happiness, The Heavy-Duty Medications, and Sleeping the Day Away!

It is time for my mini-break, and my bass allergy voice has arrived, right on schedule! I am currently sitting upright (this is taking LOTS of effort), in my pajamas because the cat insisted on being fed. I took a half dose of the heavy-duty medications last night, and it has thrown me into my acclimatization pattern - drowsiness, dizziness, and difficulty with coordination. I am having a bit of difficulty with my fine motor coordination to type things - I've got all the letters, but they are NOT in the right order. I am having to backspace type quite a bit this morning, but that's what this day is all about - getting so I can breathe clearly again - AKA, the heavy duty medications!!

One of my morning routine elements is a daily happiness focus on my personal Facebook page. I try really hard to find something to be happy about, even on the days when happiness is elusive to me. It is a practice that I've done for a bit over a year now, and I think it has helped me be a bit more positive in my frustrated times. Today's post included the following:
Daily Happiness: My medications helped me to sleep in this morning, and I didn't HAVE to get up at all! I'm going to spend this day in my pajamas and then at the combination Maundy Thursday/Good Friday service this evening. All of my women choir members are in the throes of severe allergies, so our singing will be interesting.
One of the things that I find myself asking (on a regular basis) is, "Is this really happiness or is it snarkitude masking itself as happy statements?" I am a sarcastic person, so there are times when the snark emerges - even when I don't want it to! I try to keep as much of my snarky thoughts out of the daily happiness focus as I possibly can, but there are times when it comes out anyway.

As a music therapist, I find that my penchant for snarky and sarcastic comments is not something I can access very often. My clients do not respond well to sarcasm, so it is not something that I encourage. With some clients, I can use it as a tool - IF I overemphasize the entire thing. I go into my ultra-sarcastic persona and then it works - but only with specific clients.

Today, though, I am too tired for snarky comments or thinking much more deeply. I just bought some Nina Simone, so I think I'll just listen to Feeling Good a bit (I LOVE that song - all of the therapeutic elements just coalesce into a triumphant piece of music), and then go to sleep - again - until it is time to start getting ready for tonight's combined Maundy Thursday/Good Friday service at my church job. Maybe my voice will be more of a soprano/alto timbre than its current bass timbre by then. Since all my female singers are currently in the throes of the same allergy funk, we need someone who can hit a higher note. If all else fails, I'll save my voice for that note!

I'm going back to bed. See you on the other side of this acclimatization! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA