Too Many Ideas - Not Enough Time

My creative phases come and overwhelm me for a time, then they morph into a time of ennui. I am in a creative phase right now. Ideas are coming faster than I can manifest them, and it is a bit hectic around here as I am trying to put them down on paper so I can get things arranged, organized, and make them a reality.

My current project is a mini edition of sing about songs with some links to visual aids offered through my Teachers Pay Teachers store. I have way too many ideas to include in this mini edition, but that's not a bad thing. The mini edition may spur me to write another full-sized edition of sing about songs with additional TMEs to go with the visual aids and the themes. We will see what I get finished in this next month before the mini editions become a reality.

So, in the next two weeks, I have some visual aids to design, print, and make as examples for a photo shoot for the new edition. I have TMEs to write out. I have a music therapy disclaimer to formulate. I have my regular work responsibilities and extra work responsibilities because it is December and my job gets significantly more hectic during this month, but those are things that should be okay to work through and around. I have WAY too many ideas right now, but I do have my idea book for just these moments.

Yep, that's right. I have an idea book. Does that really surprise you? Probably not. My idea book gives me a place to put down my ideas when they come into my brain and then I can work on them when I have time. I have game ideas, visual ideas, TME ideas, half-finished TMEs, and many other things lurking in my idea book. Once they are finished, I indicate in the book that I've finished stuff up and it is a reality.

Right now, I am going to pack up my laptop to take to work with me (it's a 12-hour day) so I can make some of these ideas a reality. I'll have some time between job #1 and job #2 to arrange some of the visual aid ideas that I have into a TPT formatted file. (I have a system - does that surprise you?) Uploading files will have to wait until I am back here at home, but I should be able to finish several of my projects without internet access. It's a process within a system, and I find that it works for me.

How do you handle creativity? Do you immerse yourself in it? Do you have times when you are not creative? (I know I certainly do!) How do you keep your creative process going? Let me know in the comments about your own process. Do you have an idea book? Do you have a file folder with ideas? Are you someone who can sit down and complete a TME in one sitting? We're all different, and we all have our own ways of doing things.

(If you are interested in learning more about yourself as a creator, consider taking my first CMTE course, Composition and Creativity.)

Comments

  1. I wrestle with the ideas mentally for a few days (or weeks), read a lot of books and get new information or new ways to wrestle with the ideas, start writing in a laborious manner until it takes shape. Most of my creativity is funneled into doctorschool right now, so this is how papers get written at the moment.

    PS. I am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA