Organizing a Symposium Has Lots of Moving Parts

I have been working on a project lately that is coming to a head today. It is an educational symposium for music therapists from around the world, and I'm always reminded that there are lots of things that have to happen in order to have any type of meeting of music therapists (and others, of course).

This symposium has been my labor of love lately.

I took this concept and ran with it. Here's a list of all the things that I had to think about during this process...

Convince the board to support this idea
Develop idea for symposium
Contact potential presenters (my first choice took me up on the offer! - This was easy!!)
Start to define symposium purpose and CBMT information
Select date and time for symposium
Submit CBMT paperwork to become preapproved and officially offer the event
Set up registration through various entry sites
Get web master to update website
Coordinate registrations and payments
Communicate with registrants
Answer questions (there are ALWAYS questions, even when I've tried to think of ever single possibility)
Arrange the platform
Train presenter on how to use the platform
Complete my part of the presentation
Arrange handouts
Provide refunds for people who need them 
Pace nervously when it is nowhere near time to start the presentation
Imagine all sorts of things that could go horrifically wrong...

(That's where I am right now)
Start the symposium
Answer questions
Facilitate discussions between participants and presenter
Coordinate post-test/evaluation process
Send out certificates
Close CBMT paperwork
Finish up financial considerations and close the event
Remove the registration page from the website
Reflect and review how it went for future events...

Now, please know that I am NOT complaining about this process - I actually enjoy all of these gears and cogs and moving parts. The symposium starts in 7.5 hours, and I am more than ready to get this thing going! I wish that I could just go, but that's not how things work - there is a time and a place for everything, and this is not the time. That's in 7.5 hours.

For the moment, I am going to do some relaxation things, try to figure out how I'm going to ship a whole bunch of packages to my family, put ear drops in to help with my double outer ear infections, eat some spaghetti for breakfast, and keep moving forward...

I'm just REALLY glad that I organize things online - I NEVER really want to have to coordinate physical things like rooms, like multiple presentations happening simultaneously, like instruments to specific places. I've learned that there is plenty to do when you are just expecting folks to be on their computers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA