Make It Monday: Music Note Cards

I often make things for my students so that they can choose music-themed familiar games for days when I am not able to sing or make music with them. One of the most functional things that I have made is a deck of music note cards. We use these cards to play notation WAR, Go Fish, Old Maid, Memory/Concentration, Slapjack, and other card games. These are some of the most versatile visual aids that I have, and they are really easy to make!!

My music cards have the following notes (at this time - I'll be adding some more) - sixteenth, eighth, quarter, half, and whole. I currently have four different card decks - they are color coordinated so I can make sure to put entire sets back together - all the purple cards go together, etc. They are a bit smaller than playing card deck size, but that doesn't seem to bother my clients. We use them for many different things.

So, how do I make these?

I go back to my favorite visual aid base of all times - 4X6 inch index cards!!

When you cut these in half, you have 4X3 inch index cards - a good size for cards. So, I cut these in half (about 25 of them before I cut them in half) for 50 cards total and then I start drawing notes on them. After that, I can laminate them for durability (I haven't done that yet, but it is coming).

Then, just start playing games with the cards.


Easy visual aid for lots of therapeutic music experiences. I really enjoy it when I have multiple uses for one thing, and I make it a rule to have multiple uses (for some reason, I decided on 6 things minimum) before I take something to my music therapy clinic for storage. Music note cards - 4 sets so multiple groups of students can engage simultaneously. We play all sorts of games with these cards, and they are a good time filler when needed. 

Look for these in a new file in my Teachers Pay Teachers store pretty soon - if you do not want to make your own version of these cards. I should be able to get the file finished by the end of the week. An entire set of cards, drawn by me, printed out by you - all for only $2.00! Before that time, though, head over to the store anyway to see what's been added!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA