Planning My Learning for This Next Week

On Friday, I did something I've never done before.

I sat down and went through the entire AMTA conference schedule to plan out my concurrent session attendance. Now, I have no idea if I will actually go to these sessions, but I now have a list of topics that I am interested in learning more about when I am at conference. Almost everything is either marketing or supervision this time around - with a couple of things like Special Education ideas and a Philosophy Slam thrown in for good measure. I've also signed up for a marketing consultation with a friend of mine, and I finally have something to share at the Music Therapy Business Owner's Task Force meeting. Add in a couple of times to sit with some OCMT friends, and my conference time is filling up.

I have things that I need to do to get ready. My packing list is finished, but the packing is certainly not done yet. I need to go shopping for road trip snacks, a new computer bag (mine is splitting at all the seams), and for business card blanks (for some reason, I seem to have finished all of mine up...). I also need to get cat food so my cat has something to eat while I am off "partying" at conference. 

The thing I am focused on for the moment, though, is learning about things I know a little bit about in order to be better at what I do.

I am currently in a bit of a funk about my life as a music therapist. I've finished the textbooks that interest me the most. I'm watching more than I'm doing music therapy, and I'm not all that sure what I want to do with the rest of my professional life (which my sister says will be another 8 years before retirement...). So, I am hoping that conference helps me find something to shake me out of my funk. That may happen...it may not, but I am willing to step out of my comfort zone and see where I end up.

I think that's the most important part of being a learner. Being willing to leave comfort for the unknown.

I'm not very good at that (in some aspects of my life), but I am getting better.

So, back to planning my learning. I'll be heading from place to place, taking notes in my music therapy notebook (the silver one), crocheting slippers (I have at least two pairs to make before the holidays), and listening for information that applies to my life as a music therapist. I have recently re-upped my Board Certification, so I have absolutely NO need for continuing education, so I just get to do what I want, when I want to do it! What a nice, NICE situation to be in!! I will be going between supervision sessions and private practice/marketing sessions (primarily). I hope that you'll stop me and say hello. Remember, I have three free copies of my sing about winter book, and I'll have coupons for everyone else (hence, the need for business cards so I can print out the coupons!).

I think I am ready for this upcoming adventure. We will see, but I think I'm there.

See you soon? I hope so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA