The End of Summer Break

I have a weekend left before our Extended School Year (ESY) begins. This is always a bittersweet time for me - the end of time away from work and the beginning of my structured time. It's good and bad. I would love more time off, but I need more structure to my time than I currently give myself. It's a good thing that I don't ever have more than two weeks off at a time, I think!

I am about halfway through my office conversion. The desks are in and are becoming functional, and I have gone through about half of my books and papers. I threw out old intern files and old paperwork from my tenure on the Association Internship Approval Committee - all of that information is in the box of confidential paperwork to be recycled at the UPS store. I have WAY too many books and things left to go through, but I have made progress and will be able to finish up in the next two days.

This time around, the end of summer break means that I get to work with an intern again. I am simultaneously thrilled and petrified at the thought of being an internship director again. My past 23 interns have taught me so very much over the years, and I love watching the transformation from "student" to "therapist" happen for each of them. I know that bringing someone new into my treatment process and my therapeutic relationships will change everything. That is scary but usually worth it in the end.

I have the welcome stash of stuff ready for intern #24. I have the paperwork finished and on a jump drive for #24 to use. I have the first major training scheduled (the second through fourth days), and I am ready to share my space with someone else again. I am.

For now, though, I am going to go to work on my living area. It is getting more and more put together, but it is not finished yet. Time to get going. 

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA