...And Now I'm Singing to the Cat

I read an article somewhere, a long, long time ago, that attempted to explain earworms - you know, the tunes that go through your head over and over again without any real conscious decision to recall them? Earworms.

The theory was that the brain created stimulation when there was a lack of stimulation in the external environment.

Okay. That's interesting to me. I get earworms pretty often, and I've learned to extinguish them pretty reliably. I have been accused of giving others many earworms over the years. Just one note can trigger some of my coworkers into singing songs with me - songs they would rather not sing...

I've found myself singing things this week - just bursting out into song at times. Guess my brain is seeking musical stimulation and the soundtracks of my television programs is not cutting it. Those songs haven't become earworms - yet - but I am on the watch to see what sticks.

I've spent quite a bit of time this past week in solitary pursuits. My only company has been my cat who is not used to company and goes through periods of time when she wants to be right with me every place I go and others where the very fact of my presence annoys her greatly. At this point of my eleven days off (I'm in day 8), I have been away from music therapy long enough that I am seeking out the poor cat out so I can sing to someone for some sort of response.

I often wonder what is going on in her mind as I am singing to her.


"There she goes again, caterwauling. Is that my name? Why does she do this to me?? I just want to sleep in peace on the entire bed now that she's up and moving around. Is she reaching for her keys? Please. Rats. She's still here, making that obnoxious sound. It sounds like screeching. Oh no, now she's coming over here. Don't pick me up, PLEASE don't pick me up. Urgh. It will be over soon. Pretend to enjoy it, and she'll get bored and leave, taking her awful screech with her."

These types of thoughts do not keep me from singing to her - or just singing in her general direction. I enjoy singing too much to stop just because the cat turns her back on me. I also believe that I can vanquish the earworms if I am active in my music making.

It's time to get ready to be in a work frame of mind.

When my days are full of music making, I tend not to be as prone to repetitive music running through my head, but when I am on breaks (like now), the lack of music in my life often makes for strange, forgotten songs running through my head at odd times. At this moment, most of the songs that are coming into my head and out of my mouth are original ones - I'm in a composition period of life right now. Once I record the songs, they tend to go away, so they don't become earworms.

Time to get going on my work today. I'm going to work until it is time for my hair cut! My goal for this day? To finish moving the furniture around the room to new locations and to throw out several bags of trash and recyclable materials. I may even sing a song or two in the process...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA