My Body Still Wants Me To Go Slowly

I swear, I do have a Synthesis Sunday post ready to go. I read my article and used my post-it notes to analyze what I had read and was ready to go yesterday morning when it happened - the sparkles in my eyes that signal the beginning of a migraine headache.

These headaches come and go. I tend to have several headaches over about a year's time, and then they go away for about four years. This was (hopefully) the last for the year. They don't seem to have any real cause, and I don't respond well to most of the medications out there for migraines, so I just have to move through them.

I did what I was supposed to do, I got up, took my daily medications, took my Tylenol (the only painkiller that I can take) for the headache, squinted through the sparkles in my visual field to email the preacher and the organist at church, and then went back to bed. I didn't sleep much, but I was able to limit my movement and my exposure to light during the day.

My body seems to do this. I think everything is going well, and then my body establishes dominance over what I do.

I've learned that it is best to follow my body rather than try to fight against it. 

When these things happen, I make a decision about how I can proceed in the music therapy clinic. If I was still in the throes of my migraine, I would need to adapt quite a bit to decrease lights and sounds.

This is a center week, so I have lots of things to put together today, but the plan is easy to adapt if the headache comes back. We are going to spend some time spending a bit of money on leisure activity plans mapping out a Saturday night. We are going to play music themed card games, and we are going to use the pom-pom box for some sensory play. I have nothing for the listen station - oh, but we could use the audio bottles to match sounds - there you go, all of my centers are finished.

Adaptations are something that I think about during therapeutic music experience development. How can I do things differently to accommodate adaptations for my clients (and myself, when needed)? How can I keep the nature of the TME while making it something that everyone can access? 


My body wants me to go a bit more slowly into work, sessions, and everything else. For the moment, I will get myself showered, dressed, and on the way to work before the sunrise. I will keep my sunglasses near me during the day, just in case, and I will spend some time engaged in active self-care today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA