Getting Back Into Synthesis Sunday - But Not Yet

I had every intention of reading the next chapter in my current music therapy reading yesterday, but I didn't get that done. I did finish one prayer shawl, start another, write my thank you notes to my family members, go shopping for groceries and marked down holiday stuff, blog, and watch lots of television. I swear, I will get back into that reading - I am very interested in how it all turns out - but I am going to take my time.

Today, however, I already have a long to-do list. I will be going to my church job to celebrate Epiphany (I know, it was yesterday, but we haven't spoken about it yet), and then I'll come home to make some cards for our War game next week. After that, I am going to see The Last Jedi again. We'll see if I can make it through the movie without crying this time around, but I am taking my tissues just in case.

At some point, I will start to read my book again. I am interested in learning more about Winnicott's theories of psychology and how the theories relate to music therapy. 

One of the reasons that I spend time reading these texts is that I want to learn as much about music therapy as I can. I enjoy reading books written by people who view music and therapy from a different perspective. I take what I like from their ideas and acknowledge the rest without adopting everything that is presented. I like books much better than articles - I crave philosophy and theory rather than numbers. So, my music therapy library keeps growing with texts that I feel I should be reading.

After I finish my current text, I am going to move on into a book about Trauma. My current clinical focus is shifting more and more into Trauma-Informed Therapy. It will be interesting to see what others think about the ideas I have been exposed to during my training. I will not have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to embedding the concepts of Trauma-Informed Care into music therapy - others have already done that invention. I will be able to take those ideas and make them my own.

Right now, however, I am struggling with attention to task as I attempt to get through my to-do list. I can't seem to focus on any one thing until I can complete it. That's why I needed to do what I needed to do yesterday - I had to finish something. Today, my goal is to finish listing things on my to-do list - for the month, the week, and the day. I am going to spend some time in self-care (watching a movie), and I am going to make things. That's what my Sunday is going to look like.

I will put my chapter reading back into my routine. Next week will be a Synthesis Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA