The "Must Do" Rather Than the "Want To Do" List

I am a product of my behaviorist background when it comes to personal and professional management. I use incentives, reinforcers, and clear expectations for myself so I can get through the things that I must do and the things that I want to do. This is the basis of my "30 minutes on, 30 minutes off" chore process. I have to spend 30 minutes on something that I must do in order to get 30 minutes of time to do something that I want to do.

That's my plan for today - "30 minutes on, 30 minutes off" is my mantra for this Friday.

I made headway on the pile of documentation that I need to finish for the week, but I'm not finished yet. So, today will be a day of "30 minutes on, 30 minutes off" until all the notes are done. The problem is that I don't have much that I want to do that I can do at work. Maybe I'll spend some time playing the piano during my want to do times. Maybe not.

To organize myself, I will make my lists - my "Must Do" and my "Want to Do" lists. Documentation goes on the top of the "Must Do" list and will be the only thing on the list until those notes are finished. The "Want to Do" list will be comprised of things like play the piano, look at Pinterest for free visual aids, write TMEs for the slew of free visual aids that I already have, and go for a walk. I have to send out an email about the Holiday Sing next Thursday afternoon. That's about it for the "Must Do" list at this point.

The last part of this process of getting things done and being organized about it is crossing things off.

Those of us who like lists know that it is very satisfying to cross of a "Must Do" chore off the list. There is something almost visceral about getting to acknowledge an accomplishment, even when that accomplishment is very small. There are times when "send email" is a BIG deal, and it deserves to be celebrated!

So, I am off into the darkness to start my day. I will be spending some time working on my documentation. (This is why I strive to do my notes within 12 hours rather than letting them pile up - like I did this week. Listen to my cautionary tale, o fellow therapists. Don't let this happen to you! Beware! Beware!!) I will take some time to engage in peer supervision with my art therapy friend. I will take some time for active musicking. I will also spend time thinking and brainstorming.

Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA