I Woke Up Singing

This morning was a good morning. I woke up singing.

The song was a completely new one, and it incorporated a visual aid that I made a couple of weeks ago. I used this aid this week with a couple of groups - we played out our emotions on instruments - but I need more ideas to justify its storage in my clinical area (my silly "6 things to do with this" rule that I have...). Anyway, the song that was in my head works with this visual really, REALLY well!

Hooray!

It is a great thing to have songs come to me fully fleshed out and finished. I've found that those songs are the ones that my clients like the best. They are the ones that I have to sing over and over again. Their creation is effortless and the results are wonderful.

I wish it happened more often.

I'm going to put the song down on an index card as I fiddle with it a bit. Then I can keep it going in my brain.

Time to get the keyboard out to figure out the entire melody. I have to hear it as I am composing - I have to hear what I am writing to know if what is in my head is accurately written down on paper. Then, I have to take my melody line and put it into my software program in order to make the rhythms work. Rhythm is my downfall, even after decades upon decades of writing songs. Nice thing, though - now there is software that will take what I think is right and play it back to me. When I hear it, I can tell if it matches what I hear in my head. If it doesn't, I keep fiddling with it until it does match.

[Geezer Time] Back in the day, I would have to use my acquaintances to sight read my music so I could hear it. We were just starting to have music writing software when I was an undergraduate, so all of us were learning how to use the software at the same time. It was fascinating. I'm also really glad that I had to do so much music theory in school. That foundation is handy, especially on days like today when I have to put something on paper as soon as possible before it slips away.

(By the way, I have my index card finished, and the ideas of how to use this song are increasing. I LOVE THIS FEELING!!)

I hope you have songs that just arrive, fully formed, and ready to go as well. The feeling is incredible! (Part of that may be the full moon that is just about ready to go as well, but still!!)

Happy Saturday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA