Facing Friday - Not as Bad as It Sounds!

I didn't do any of my clinical notes yesterday. For some reason, my brain just wouldn't work and couldn't get going on the notes. As a result, I have double the notes to write this morning. Fortunately, I have lots of time today to get those notes finished.

Yesterday ended with a student who started shredding my room - one piece of furniture at a time. The student returned to the room and assisted with the clean-up - something that I felt was crucial to the process. We picked up pieces of bulletin board border (shredded), the client pushed the cabinets back into place and replaced the posters that were torn off the Velcro dots. (I've found that my clients get less satisfaction ripping things off the wall when pieces of paper are attached with Velcro than with tape. I Velcro EVERYTHING these days!! Maybe it is something to do with the ease of replacing the materials that makes it just that much less satisfying...whatever, I'm using it!)

Today will include a session of peer supervision with my art therapy peer. We will talk about the things that are happening in our clinical areas, we will chat about our family members, and we will talk about our ideas about the future. She is developing a two-year art therapy directive calendar to use with our clients. I am working on making my centers more appropriate and more readily available to clients when they need the experience. I am also priming my brain towards a trauma-informed perspective. Maybe I'll take my T-IC binder to work with me to help me remember what I learned before Thanksgiving.

I purchased some new music on iTunes yesterday, so I have some new tunes to listen to (most of them songs just for me - not client requests!). I may crank up the Pentatonix and Soundtrack music during store hours - something to keep me going while class after class invades my space to use the room for something other than music therapy. I need to arrange the storage closet (the place where interns will eventually office - if I EVER get any more interns) from its current configuration of "put things wherever, I'll get to them later" to "organization."

My other goal for today is a thought goal - something that is an exercise in problem solving rather than in anything else. I'll keep a large piece of paper in the center of my organizing process so I can jot down ideas and inventory as they come to me.

Centers worked very well this week. We matched winter symbols, sorted instruments into instrument families, and used my listening station with headphones to indicate stylistic preferences for the song Jingle Bells. My primary goal for these centers was to introduce the way the listening station worked to my clients. Secondary goals included increasing independence in center locations and assessing client ability to complete additional tasks (levels of prompting required to complete tasks). The centers worked well.

I am now getting ready to venture out into the very cold world to start my day. I am ready to face this Friday in all its promise.

Happy day, all!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA