The Day That Wasn't

Yesterday morning, I was in the throes of a dilemma - to stay at AMTA17 or to go home. I opted to go home. As much as I wanted to stay and see the rest of the presentations that interested me, my eyes were droopy and my ability to think was just plain old gone. So...

...I decided to hurtle across the country in a car going 75+ miles per hour. It was actually the best call for me, and I made it home by noon, so I got in a long nap and am somewhat rested for my trauma-informed care trainer certification course starting this morning.

AMTA17 was a good experience for me, especially after my blog meltdown right before the conference. I was dreading the social experience of conference, but I was able to find a good balance between being public and being selectively social. It amazes me that the people that I used to consider really good friends no longer have any use for me and walk right past me without any acknowledgment or recognition what-so-ever. I didn't stop them and force an interaction as I knew that I would not be able to interact without conflict in my self.

I bonded with a couple of folks over knitting and crocheting as I took a break and finished up a beautiful yellow prayer shawl that I've been working on. I was able to share my ideas about making our administrative tasks a bit easier to a fully-packed room (there were people sitting on the floor outside). That was very reinforcing to me. I had some new presentation ideas, and I have some new ideas for my business. I also may have a speaking gig for the SE region conference for students. We will see. A couple of people recognized me from my intern webinars, and others thanked me for those webinars and the information presented (nice to hear as I was considering getting rid of them completely - now I am contemplating a format change rather than discontinuation...).

I had a chance to spend some time with one of my long-time friends. She used to be my intern and now is a friend. We talked for about 4 hours about anything and everything. It was great to catch up in person, and we'll be working on more connection rather than waiting to see each other in St. Louis only.

After all of that, it is no wonder that I was exhausted!

The trip home consisted of not one, but TWO malfunctioning gas pumps at two different gas stations. That was the only harumph of the day as it made getting the essential fuel that I needed to actually get home a bit difficult. One would not read my card (that was the second) and the other one only gave a trickle of gasoline (it took 10 minutes to get two gallons of gas into the car). I gave up at the first station which made the second station essential. Those were the only wrinkles to the day. Not bad, and just minor frustrations to end the weekend.

I am now getting ready to drive back to Kansas City to attend "Trauma Informed Care Trainer Certification." This is something else that I have been really looking forward to for some time now, and I am ready to go learn more and more about Trauma Informed Care. This certification figures in with my future plans and some of the presentation ideas that I had during AMTA17. So, off I go, cough and all, to be part of this next chapter.

Happy Monday - it is Monday, right??

Happy Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA