Update: The Plan That Wasn't Much of a Plan

This week, my session strategy consisted of a post-it note stuck on the side of the guitar. Fancy - that's how I do things - purple post-its in the shape of a square on the side of the guitar. I went through my TME file and wrote the titles of TMEs that we hadn't experience in a long time - some singing TMEs, some games, some general ideas - and then led the ones that I thought would work the best with each group. Things have gone very well, considering that my students have been extremely grumpy and short-tempered with each other, considering that staff members have also been very grumpy, and I have had to deal with rude comments, people who think that they are in charge of what I do (when they are NOT!), and two fire drills in 10 minutes yesterday (I was in the middle of My Aunt Came Back. My aunt never even got to go anywhere...).

In between all of the grumpy responses to any and everything, we've made some music. I've used all of my knowledge of music as a therapeutic medium to complete some mood vectoring, to distract, to lead, to shape, to instigate, to motivate my clients into interaction, engagement, and appropriate participation with others. It's been a good therapy week.

I've also had lots of time to observe interpersonal relationships and interactions.

(Tongue firmly in my cheek, here.) Did you know that yelling is not the only alternative when you are speaking with another person? I didn't. Did you know that sometimes, adolescents need to rebel against authority figures? I didn't. Did you know that if you offer limits but also offer choices within those limits, adolescents often do what you want them to do without escalating into challenging behaviors? Did you know that if you grab someone around the neck (not any staff members this time - all persons served), that person will likely punch you in the face? 

Yesterday, we had a discussion about power during one of my groups. People were exploding left and right and blaming other people for "making" them explode. I blathered around a bit about how allowing the actions of another person make you do something that you know is wrong is giving that other person your power. I know there's a song to be composed about this, but I do need to figure out additional ways to convey this message. I think it's important, especially for my clients who are constantly marginalized and often taken advantage of in many different ways.

All things considered, the first half of the therapy week went pretty well. We sang about the weather, people in our group, moving our bodies, aunts going on trips, spelling our names, and many other things. We moved, we regulated our breathing, we played games, we spent time making music with our voices. I was able to shape the session around the students that were in front of me.

The rest of the week is for Musician of the Month reveal. We are going to listen to Enya. I already know who the Musician will be for next month. It came to me in a flash when a client requested a specific song on Monday. I love when that happens - flash! I will still use my purple post-it note (I will probably need a new one for all the old but good TMEs that keep popping into my head) to shape the rest of the TMEs for each and every session, but I know that we will make it work.

I may even resurrect my screaming songs, just because.

I'm heading off into a four group, one individual day. It ends up with a meeting (ugh) that was cancelled but is now back on (ugh). I may skip the meeting because, ugh. After that, it is time to head to church for worship and choir rehearsal. Wednesdays are long days for me, but I enjoy the change from being therapist to being worshiper and singer.

Time to go into a world that is sorta planned, but is still open to changes, developments, and new directions.

Happy Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA