Thoughtful Thursday: Auguste Rodin

It is Thursday again, and I am sitting at the computer, thinking about the quotation that I have in my small quotation box.
"Patience is also a form of action." ~Auguste Rodin
Hunh.

Patience can be action. 

Isn't this especially true for a therapist? 

Therapy isn't something that happens immediately. Therapy isn't a bandaid, it is a long process of work and reflection. It can't be rushed.

Have you ever come across a client who expects that a song will cure them of their ailments? When they start to realize that therapy is a long-term commitment, they are no longer interested. In this world of instant gratification, two-day shipping, and online shopping, I find that we, as a society, really don't have much patience anymore.

I'm good at being patient with my clients, but I am not as good about being patient with myself or with my co-workers. Yet, time after time, being patient has proved to be the right way to do things. I just don't remember that in the moment and want things to happen immediately!

One of Rodin's most famous sculptures is the epitome of patience. When I was a junior in high school, Rodin was one of the fine artists that we studied for Academic Decathlon. There was a huge Rodin exhibit at one of our nearby museums, and we went. It was a wonderful experience to stand in the presence of Le Penseur. There is something very calming about looking at a person sitting in contemplation of something or nothing. Patience personified for me, right there.

On my desk, I have a picture of my cat. I think I may need a picture of Le Penseur to add to my desk. Something to remind me of patience as a form of action. Done.

Patience, my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA