Just a Song Sunday: Improvisation Challenge

A couple of weeks ago, one of my clients challenged me during a session. The challenge was not a behavioral one but was a musical one. The client said, "Why do you always sing the same songs? Why don't you make up some new ones?" So I did.

The fact of the matter is that I make up songs all the time. I often improvise music shaped around my clients. I asked the client who challenged me to improvise if he recognized when the song was completely new. He couldn't.

I have a basic rule when it comes to improvising - make the music match what is going on around you. Seems simple enough, but it took me a long time to be comfortable with the idea. Nowadays, I improvise music as a matter of course. My students and staff members are often not aware that I am making music in the moment when I am doing it. I think that's a good thing. They must find the music itself engaging and appropriate for the moment itself. For someone who struggled with horrible anxiety every time her band director would make her improvise, this is a big deal.

Anyway, apparently this particular student just doesn't realize how much of my musical interactions with my clients are actually original and in the moment. That is probably because of the years of practice that I've had (that and the confidence that I project when I start to improvise - snark!). 

I am going to make sure that I compose and improvise some new music for this client's group this week (which means that the client won't be at group this week - that's the way it goes). I'm thinking a new opening TME is something that I could whip out in a hurry. I can also set up some planned improvisation moments during the week to keep myself improvising.

Thanks, client. You have reminded me that being a music therapist means being an improviser. I will accept your challenge and rise to the occasion. There you go!

Happy Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA